Sunday 6 April 2014

Audience Qualitative Data


I needed to collect qualitative data about my magazine and poster I have created to change and improve them according to my target audience feedback. I had to show my poster templates to a group of people boys and girls, as well as posting them on social media websites gaining a wider response.

I had to first show my poster templates and my rough design, on the designs, I changed the layout of the title, film festivals and the tag lines. I had the idea of what short of picture to feature, so I choose or drew similar pictures and presented them to the audience. I got the audience to decide what layout looked better on the page and what sort of picture would be more effective. I found they liked the film festivals at the top, the title of the film at the top bigger than all the other text. The main image would stay in the middle, with the tag line and cast and crew below with social media websites.  With asking an audience about the layout of my poster this has helped me collect data from writing down what the focus group said so I could go and change the poster to fit the audience preference.

With the image on the poster I had showed the group what would look better, a reflection picture or just the killer by herself, a big dark tone image. I they suggest have
the resembling of both pictures looks more scary as it stands out to the audience and they suggested there are two sides of that character. They said black and white with high contrast looked more effective than a picture which was normal tones as the black and white would stand out.

With the magazine, I chose to first show them my research stage of the different magazines, Fangoria, Empire and Little White Lies, I asked which one would my image of my killer look more effective on. I found that Fangoria was the right choice as they said the final girl with such as a gore image looks better on a Fangoria front page as it suits the magazine as well as they picture. With empire and little white like my magazine did not fit as empire was more for Hollywood films, and little white lies was to plain and simple with the only one story featured.

I then found out about the layout I should use, I showed them my templates of the magazines and the rough design, from this I decided where to feature the different conventions on the page, such as the title of the magazine, the reel and the feature story. They suggest the title of the magazine should stay conventional at the top, the reel on the left showing images of gore and other films and the feature story to the right being bigger than the reel. The style and the layout of the magazine they said where an important features, because if the magazine was not the same as other Fangoria magazine then the original audience it would not appeal too. With the image it had to be gore and out there, with blood or scary. I showed them the templates with pictures that where bloody and gore and one featuring a poster picture which was not. They suggest that the gore pictures looked better as the fitted the magazine look, so when I showed the examples of the pictures I took of my killer, showed them to the audience and they suggest the one where half the face is covered and the blood is the main feature.

From asking the audience what they liked and finding the qualitative data it has helped me find in-depth data about what target like about the magazine and poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment